History of arthrology in the mirror of numismatics
Keywords:medicine, arthrology, history, numismatics
The main goal was to analyze the history of arthrology using numismatic materials. The numismatics (from the Latin "numisma" – coin), a branch of historical science, that was originated in the 19th century and closely related to economics, politics, culture and law, which includes the study of coins, medals and plaques. The history of arthrology is best illustrated by various forms of medal art (exonum or paranumism), and the medal became the prototype of a commemorative (memorial) coin. This work presents a catalog of 157 numismatic materials (138 medals, 15 plaques, 4 coins), including some unique ones, presented for the first time, the stages of development of the study of the use of therapeutic factors were reflected, there are references to significant historical events, brief biographies of physicians (62 persons) were mentioned, who made an invaluable contribution to the formation of this scientific discipline. On the medals, can be found the portraits of the founders of the world arthrology, the ancient Indian doctor Charaka and the ancient Greek physician Aretaeus, as well as the portraits of the Ukrainian doctors – Agapetus of Pechersk, E. YO. Mukhin, O. A. Kysil, D. F. Chebotaryov. The work contains the following sections: "Inception of arthrology", "Structure and function of joints”, "Osteoarthritis", "Gouty arthritis", "Rheumatoid arthritis", "Infectious and infectious-allergic (reactive) arthritis", "Tuberculous arthritis", "Others arthrites". Unfortunately, so far the memory of famous doctors of the past has not been sufficiently marked by the release of numismatic products, so in the future we hope for a systematic approach to this matter, for the purposeful promotion of the achievements of rheumatology by means of numismatics, which provides an illustrative example for studying the history of arthrology, contributes to an increase in the level of education of doctors. Аuthors look forward to the appearance of new and interesting materials of such small forms of art.
Kunzmann R. The Saint Eligius, his life and work and his traces in numismatics. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2014;156(1):13-16. https://doi.org/10.1024/0036-7281/a000541. (in German)
Syniachenko OV, Golovach IYu, Iermolaieva MV, et al. Revmatolohiya v oblychchyakh: numizmatychno-biohrafichnyy kataloh [Rheumatology in the face: numismatic and biographical catalog]. Kramatorsʹk: Drukarsʹkyy dim; 2019. 180 p. (in Ukrainian).
Syniachenko OV, Smiian SI, Iermolaieva MV, Dumansky YuV. Medytsyna. Ukrayina. Numizmatyka [Medicine. Ukraine. Numismatics]. Ternopil: Pidruchnyky i posibnyky; 2019. 192 p. (in Ukrainian).
Pearn J. Enduring biographic heritage - Medical numismatics. J Med Biogr. 2019;27(2):108-115. https://doi.org/10.1177/0967772016676784.
Mayer R. The history of a medal (part 2). Rev Med Brux. 2011;32(6):553-559. (in French).
Popkin RJ. Medicine in numismatics. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1961;113:657-660.
Iavazzo C, Papakiritsis M, Karamanou M, Ntziora F, Androutsos G. Ant mandibles as staples in the era of Greek patriot Ioannis Makriyannis (1797-1864). Acta Med Hist Adriat. 2013;11(2):359-364.
Karamanou M, Tsoucalas G, Gialafos E, Vrachatis DA, Androutsos G, Poulakou-Rebelakou E. Jean-Baptiste de Sénac's (1693-1770) Important Work on Cardiology and Valvular Disorders. Curr Pharm Des. 2016;22(13):1853-1856. https://doi.org/10.2174/1381612822666151208120832.
Vrebos J. G. Dupuytren's contracture: an inaccurate denomination. Acta Chir Belg. 2009;109(5):657-667. https://doi.org/10.1080/00015458.2009.11680512.
Haas LF. William Harvey 1578-1657. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1992;55(2):111. https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.55.2.111.
McDonald SW, Russell D. William Hunter and lymphatics. Ann Anat. 2018;218:40-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aanat.2018.03.002.
Dagnino-Sepúlveda J. William Hunter (1718-1783): his legacy three hundred years from his birthday. Rev Med Chil. 2019;147(1):96-102. https://doi.org/10.4067/s0034-98872019000100096. (in Spanish).
Personalities in the history of medicine. Marie François Xavier Bichat. Praxis (Bern 1994). 2015;104(10):537. https://doi.org/10.1024/1661-8157/a002003. (in German).
Joshi VR, Poojary VB. William Heberden (elder) (1710-1801). J Assoc Physicians India. 2013;61(12):946-947.
Dequeker J, Luyten FP. The history of osteoarthritis-osteoarthrosis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2008;67(1):5-10. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/keg007.
Deshpande S. History of rheumatology. Med J DY Patil Univ 2014;7(3):119-23. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/259408.
Savoia P. Skills, Knowledge, and Status: The Career of an Early Modern Italian Surgeon. Bull Hist Med. 2019;93(1):27-54. https://doi.org/10.1353/bhm.2019.0001.
Walusinski O. Jean-Martin Charcot (1825-1893): A Treatment Approach Gone Astray?. Eur Neurol. 2017;78(5-6):296-306. https://doi.org/10.1159/000481940.
Ellis H. Percivall Pott: surgeon remembered by his three eponyms. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2014;75(1):54. https://doi.org/10.12968/hmed.2014.75.1.54.
Tan SY, Kwok E. René Leriche (1879-1955): Innovator of vascular surgery. Singapore Med J. 2015;56(4):184-185. https://doi.org/10.11622/smedj.2015056.
Taneja R, Maranda EL, Jarrett OG, Heifetz R, Shareef S, Jimenez JJ. Jean Louis-Alibert-Physician, Teacher, Pioneer. JAMA Dermatol. 2016;152(9):1066. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamadermatol.2015.6067.
Copyright (c) 2020 PAIN, JOINTS, SPINE
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.