State of Skeletal Muscle Tissue in Women in the Ukrainian Population
AbstractToday among geriatric syndromes, world scientists pay much attention to the study of sarcopenia. It was found that the evaluation of skeletal muscle strength has a significant correlation with the risk of falls, disability, deterioration in the quality of life, duration of hospitalization. It is proved that measurements of skeletal muscle strength, but not the determination of skeletal muscles mass, are strong and independent predictors of mortality in the elderly. Further researches are needed to study the characteristics of weight loss, strength and function of skeletal muscle with age in individuals of different sex and age. The objective of this study was to explore the features of strength and functionality of skeletal muscle tissue in women of all ages. The study involved 248 women, who were divided into groups by decades depending on age: 20–29, 30–39, 40–49, 50–59, 60–69, 70–79, 80–89 years. Skeletal muscle strength was evaluated using spring carpal dynamometer. Functions of skeletal muscles and the risk of falls were assessed using special tests. Fat-free mass of the whole body, upper and lower extremities was evaluated by means of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (Prodigy, GEHC Lunar, Madison, WI, USA). The study found that maximal values of strength and functional capacity of skeletal muscles were observed in women in the age group of 20–29 years. The significant loss of skeletal muscle strength is being detected in individuals from the age group of 60–69 years and older. When determining the functional capacity of skeletal muscles and risk of falls, significantly worse performance was established in women older than 50 years compared to those in women in the age group of 20–29 years.
Поворознюк В.В. Захворювання кістково-м’язової системи в людей різного віку (вибрані лекції, огляди, статті): У 3 т. — К., 2009. — 664 с.
Поворознюк В.В., Григорьева Н.В. Менопауза и костно-мышечная система. — К., 2004. — 512 с.
Поворознюк В.В., Дзерович Н.И. Саркопения и возраст: обзор литературы и результаты собственных исследований // Новости медицины и фармации. — 2013. — 8(456). — С. 10-12.
Поворознюк В.В., Дзерович Н.И. Особенности телостроения у женщин различного возраста // Проблеми остеології. — 2013. — 16(4). — С. 46-52.
Янковская А.С., Подрушняк Е.П. Мышечная система человека при старении. — К., 1979. — 144 с.
Bijlsma A.Y., Meskers C.G.M., van den Eshof N. Diagnostic criteria for sarcopenia and physical performance // AGE. — 2014. — 36. — Р. 275-285.
Cessari M., Ferrini A., Zamboni V. et al. Sarcopenia: current clinical and research issues // The open geriatric medicine journal. — 2008. — 1. — P. 14-23.
Di Monaco M., Vallero F., Di Monaco R. et al. Prevalence of sarcopenia and its association with osteoporosis in 313 older women following a hip fracture // Arch. Gerontol. Geriatr. — 2011. — 52(1). — P. 71-4.
The Eastern European & Central Asian Regional Audit Epidemiology, costs & burden of osteoporosis in 2010 // International Osteoporosis Foundation. — 2010. — 60 р.
Harris T. Muscle mass and strength: relation to function in population studies // Symposium: Sarcopenia: diagnosis and mechanisms, American Society for Nutritional Sciences. — 1997. — S. 1004-1006.
Hida T., Ishiguro N., Shimokata H. et al. High prevalence of sarcopenia and reduced leg muscle mass in Japanese patients immediately after a hip fracture // Geriatr. Gerontol. Int. — 2013. — 13(2). — P. 413-20.
Newman A.B., Kupelian V., Visser M. et al. Strength, but not muscle mass, is associated with mortality in the health, aging and body composition study cohort // Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. — 2006. — 61 A (1). —
Pagotto V., Silvera E.A. Methods, diagnostic criteria, cutoff points and prevalence of sarcopenia among older people // The Scientific World Journal. – 2014. – Article ID 231312, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/231312. – 11 p.
Roberts H.C., Denison H.J., Martin H.J. et al. A review of the meauserement of grip strength in clinical and epidemiological studies: towards a standardized approach // Age ageing. — 2011. — 40. — P. 423-429.
Verschueren S., Gielen E., O’Neill T.W. et al. Sarcopenia and its relationship with bone mineral density in middle-aged and elderly European men // Osteoporos Int. — 2013. — 24(1). — P. 87-98.
Copyright (c) 2020 PAIN, JOINTS, SPINE
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.