Main Article Content
The article presents the results of epidemiological study of the incidence of vitamin D deficiency among Ukrainian population. It is found that the vast majority of the population is deficient in vitamin D (81.8 %). Most often, it is registered in individuals over the age of 75 years (84.3 %). Risk factors for vitamin D deficiency among the population of Ukraine are the female gender, obesity (BMI over 35 kg/m2), underweight (BMI less than 18.5 kg/m2), the winter time, and living not in the Southern region of the country.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
Tangpricha V. Fortification of orange juice with vitamin D: a novel approach to enhance vitamin D nutritional health [Текст] / V. Tangpricha, P. Koutkia, S.M. Rieke // Am J. Clin. Nutr. — 2003. — Vol. 77. — P. 1478-1483.
Bikle D.D. Vitamin D: roleinskinandhair [Текст] / Feldman D., ed. // Vitamin D. — Vol 1. — 2nd ed. — SanDiego, Calif: Elsevier Academic Press, 2005. — P. 609-630.
Holick M.F. High Prevalence of Vitamin D In adequacy and Implications for Health [Текст] / M.F. Holick // Mayo Clin. Proc. — 2006. — Vol. 81(3). — P. 353-373.
Шварц Г.Я. Витамин D и D-гормон / [Текст] Г.Я. Шварц. — М.: Анахарсис, 2005. — 152 с.
Holick M.F. The vitamin D content of fortified milk and infant formula [Текст] / M.F. Holick, Q. Shao, W. Liu, T. Chen // N. Engl. J. Med. — 1992. — Vol. 326. — P. 1178-1181.
Prosser D.E. Enzymes in volved in the activation and inactivation of vitamin D [Текст] / D.E. Prosser, G. Jones // Trends in biochemical sciences. — 2004. — Vol. 29. — P. 664-673.
Gascon-Barre M. TheVitamin D 25-Hydroxylase [Текст] / M. Gascon-Barre // Elsevier. — 2005. — Vol. 1. — P. 47-67.
Hewison M. Extra-renal 25-hydroxyvitamin D3-1alpha-hydroxylase in human health and disease [Текст] / M. Hewison, et al. // J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. — 2007. — Vol. 103. — P. 316-321.
Holick M.F. Evaluation, treatment, andpreventionofvitamin D deficiency: anedrocrinesocietyclinicalpractice [Текст] / M.F. Holick, N.C. Binkley, H.A. Bischoff-Ferrari et al. // J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. — 2011. — Vol. 96(7). — P. 1911-193.
Bringhurst T.R. Mineral metabolism [Текст] / T.R. Bringhurst, M.B. Demay, P.R. Larson, H.M. Kronenberg, K.S. Polonsky, eds. // Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. — 10th ed. — Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2003. — P. 1317-1320.
Heaney R.P. Functional indices of vitamin D status and ramifications of vitamin D deficiency [Текст] / R.P. Heaney // Am. J. Clin. Nutr. — 2004. — Vol. 80 (6 suppl.). — P. 1706-1709.
Christakos S. New in sights into the mechanisms of vitamin D action [Текст] / S. Christakos, P. Dhawan, Y. Liu, X. Peng, A. Porta // J. Cell. Biochem. — 2003. — Vol. 88. — P. 695-705.
Dusso A.S. Vitamin D [Текст] / A.S. Dusso, A.J. Brown, E. Slatopolsky // Am. J. Physiol. Renal. Physiol. — 2005. — Vol. 289. — P. 8-28.
Bikle D.D. Vitamin D: Newly Discovered Actions Require Reconsideration of Physiologic Requirements [Текст] / D.D. Bikle // Trends Endocrinol. Metab. — 2010. — Vol. 21(6). — P. 375-384.
Holick M.F. Vitamin D deficiency [Текст] / M.F. Holick // N. Engl. J. Med. — 2007. — Vol. 357. — P. 266-281.
Holick M.F. Prevalence of vitamin D in adequacy among postmenopausal North American women receiving osteoporosis therapy [Текст] / M.F. Holick, E.S. Siris, N. Binkley, M.K. Beardetal // J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. — 2005. — Vol. 90. — P. 3215-3224.
Lips P. The prevalence of vitamin D in adequacy amongst women with osteoporosis: an international epidemiological investigation [Текст] / P. Lips, D. Hosking, K. Lippuner, J.M. Norquistetal // J. Intern. Med. — 2006. — Vol. 260. — P. 245-254.
Gordon C.M. Treatment of hypovitaminosis D in infants and toddlers [Текст] / C.M. Gordon, A.L. Williams, H.A. Feldmanetal // J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. — 2008. — Vol. 93. — P. 2716-2721.
De Luca H. Over view of general physiologic features and functions of vitamin D [Текст] / De Luca H. // Am. J. Clin. Nutr. — 2004. — Vol. 80(6 Suppl.). — P. 1689-1696.
Holick M.F. Vitamin D status: measurement, interpretation and clinical application [Текст] / M.F. Holick // Ann. Epidemiol. — 2009. — Vol. 19. — P. 73-78.
Bischoff-Ferrari H.A. Benefit-risk assessment of vitamin D supplementation [Текст] / H.A. Bischoff-Ferrari, A. Shao, B. Dawson-Hughes et al. // Osteoporos. Int. — 2010. — Vol. 21. — P. 1121-1132.
Pietras S.M. Vitamin D2 treatment for vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency for upto 6 years [Текст] / S.M. Pietras, B.K. Obayan, M.H. Cai, M.F. Holick // Arch. Intern. Med. — 2009. — Vol. 169. — P. 1806-1808.
Holick M.F. The vitamin D epidemic and its health consequences [Текст] / M.F. Holick // The Journal of nutrition. — 2005 (Suppl. Vitamin D, Sunlight, and Health). — P. 2739-2748.
Chapuy M.C. Healthy elderly French women living at home have secondary hyperparathyroidism and high bone turn over in winter: EPIDOS Study Group [Текст] / M.C. Chapuy, A.M. Schott, P. Garnero, D. Hansetal. // J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. — 1996. — Vol. 81. — P. 1129-1133.
Heaney R.P. Human serum 25-hydroxycholecalciferol response to extended oral dosing with cholecalciferol [Текст] / R.P. Heaney, K.M. Davies, T.C. Chen, M.F. Holicketal // Am. J. Clin. Nutr. — 2003. — Vol. 77. — P. 204-210.
Thacher T.D. Nutritional rickets around the world: causes and future directions [Текст] / T.D. Thacher, P.R. Fischer, M.A. Strand, J.M. Pettifor // Ann. Top Paediatr. — 2006. — Vol. 26. — P. 1-16.
Holick M.F. Vitamin D: a millennium perspective [Текст] / M.F. Holick // J. Cell Biochem. — 2003. — Vol. 88. — P. 296-307.
Matsuoka L.Y. Sunscreens suppress cutaneous vitamin D3 synthesis [Текст] / L.Y. Matsuoka, L. Ide, J. Wortsmanetal // J Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. — 1987. — Vol. 64. — P. 1165-1168.
Hintzpeter B. Higher prevalence of vitamin D deficiency is associated with immigrant background among children and adolescents in Germany [Текст] / B. Hintzpeter, C. Scheidt-Nave, M.J. Muller // J. Nutr. — 2008. — Vol. 138. — P. 1482-1490.
Holik M.F. Age, vitamin D, and solar ultraviolet [Текст] // M.F. Holik, L.Y. Matsuoka, J. Wortsman // Lancet. — 1989. — Vol. 2. — P. 1104-1105.
Wortsman J. Decreased bioavailability of vitamin D in obesity [Текст] / J. Wortsman, L.Y. Matsuoka, T.C. Chenetal // Am. J. Clin. Nutr. — 2000. — Vol. 72. — P. 690-693.
Zhou C. Steroid and xenobiotic receptor and vitamin D receptor crosstalk mediates CYP24 expression and drug-induced osteomalacia [Текст] / C. Zhou, M. Assem, J.C. Tayetal // J. Clin. Invest. — 2006. — Vol. 116. — P. 1703-1712.
Adams J.S. Hypercalcemia caused by granuloma forming disorders [Текст] / Favus M.J. ed. // Primer on the metabolic bone diseases and disorders of mineral metabolism. — 6th ed. — Washington, DC / J.S. Adams, M. Hewison. — 2006. — P. 200-202.
Grey A. Vitamin D repletion in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism and coexistent vitamin D in sufficiency [Текст] / A. Grey, J. Lucas, A. Horne, G Gamble // J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. — 2005. — Vol. 90. — P. 2122-2126.